Seasonality combined with Zero Kilometres cuisine can be two important factors in reducing our footprint in the world and with these two concepts in mind, we decided to share one of the Backhome team's favourite recipes! Beetroot, ginger and sour cream cake, based on the book Sweet by Yottam Ottolengui and Helen Goh.
In addition to being a delicious recipe, and easy to prepare, it uses an ingredient easily found in any market, fair or family garden!
You can always complete your table through our collaboration with Costa Nova.
Beetroot, Ginger and Sour Cream.
• 100g of grated ginger
• 200g unleavened flour
• 2 teaspoons (10g) of baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon (2g) sodium bicarbonate
• ¼ teaspoon (2g) of fine salt
• 260g of raw beetroot, grated
• Zest of an orange
• 75g of toasted and chopped walnuts
• 2 large eggs at room temperature
• 125ml of sunflower oil
• 1 Vitamin C effervescent tablet (optional)
Tip: Vitamin C will help maintain the vibrant pink color of the beetroot
• 160g of cream cheese, room temperature
• 5g grated fresh ginger
• 60g of powdered sugar
• 80ml of fresh cream
• ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. In a shape with approximately 20cm in diameter, line the base with a circle of parchment paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 180º
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Then add the grated beetroot, the orange zest, the chopped walnuts and the grated ginger (not to be mixed already)
4. Mix the eggs with the sour cream, the oil and, if using Vitamin C, in a small bowl. Pour over the dry ingredients and with a spatula, fold in all the ingredients.
5. Place the mixture in the cake pan previously lined with parchment paper and cook in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
6. When removing the form from the oven, let it cool inside the form on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then remove from the form and let it cool completely, removing the circle of parchment paper.
7. For the topping, place the cream cheese in a medium bowl together with the grated ginger, until it has a smooth texture. Then add the powdered sugar and mix until fully incorporated, then add the fresh cream and vanilla and mix again until it thickens and reaches the desired consistency.
8. Spread the mixture over the cake and serve!